• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

What did you do with your H3 recently? NEW

Kyle

Well-Known Member
Messages
1,707
Location
Santa Clarita, CA
6916ac781a054fbb979f5cad5dc9eddc.jpg
Per the usual. 35's are on and lookin good[emoji41] obligatory gas station picture too[emoji23]


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

I[OIIIIIIIO]I

Active Member
Messages
43
Location
Grand Rapids, MI
I think that is the difference between having a full frame and having a unibody. I think you're almost always going to total a unibody, and having a full frame allows you to resist impacts better, thought you might be a bit more sore due to the energy transfer.

This is a big reason why I bought my H3. Feels a lot safer than my 1/2 door soft top jeep, especially with the kids.

Glad you are OK!
 

Chris Laun

Well-Known Member
Messages
78
Location
Los Angeles, CA
After reading up a few months ago about our stock front ends and how stiff the stock sway-bar is, I decided to do a little experiment and remove mine. As I know many of you probably advise very strongly against this on the street, but I have been driving with it off for 2 months now and have no plans on reinstalling it. That thing was WAY too stiff.

The truck handles high speed highway travel very well, almost un-noticeably different to be honest, and handles panic stops and evasive maneuvers much better than expected. From what I've experienced, body roll during evasive maneuvers whilst heading downhill on a slope, is not butt-puckering scary and I think that is all thanks to the very limited amount of wheel travel on our stock rigs. While putting around town, small bumps and pot holes encountered by only one wheel, are traversed over very smoothly with much less body roll and jolt due to the suspension being able to cycle truly independently. The ride quality overall feels MUCH better, but in my particular h3, my rear end feels a bit too stiff but I think I can blame that on 100k old springs...

Although I haven't been able to take it to any serious dirt to experience the better articulation offroad, I have bombed a few gravel/dirt roads and really do like the smoother ride.

I figured that I would volunteer myself as a guinea pig, as my curiosity was too strong to smother, so I just wanted to let you all know of my findings and experience.
Now, I absolutely do not want to encourage anyone to remove any sort of safety equipment from their vehicle, and I do expect some of you to still strongly advise against it. But if you are curious and would like to try it out, I invite you to try and report back with your thoughts:cheers:
 

atvspeed4

Well-Known Member
Messages
1,211
Location
massachusetts
After reading up a few months ago about our stock front ends and how stiff the stock sway-bar is, I decided to do a little experiment and remove mine. As I know many of you probably advise very strongly against this on the street, but I have been driving with it off for 2 months now and have no plans on reinstalling it. That thing was WAY too stiff.

The truck handles high speed highway travel very well, almost un-noticeably different to be honest, and handles panic stops and evasive maneuvers much better than expected. From what I've experienced, body roll during evasive maneuvers whilst heading downhill on a slope, is not butt-puckering scary and I think that is all thanks to the very limited amount of wheel travel on our stock rigs. While putting around town, small bumps and pot holes encountered by only one wheel, are traversed over very smoothly with much less body roll and jolt due to the suspension being able to cycle truly independently. The ride quality overall feels MUCH better, but in my particular h3, my rear end feels a bit too stiff but I think I can blame that on 100k old springs...

Although I haven't been able to take it to any serious dirt to experience the better articulation offroad, I have bombed a few gravel/dirt roads and really do like the smoother ride.

I figured that I would volunteer myself as a guinea pig, as my curiosity was too strong to smother, so I just wanted to let you all know of my findings and experience.
Now, I absolutely do not want to encourage anyone to remove any sort of safety equipment from their vehicle, and I do expect some of you to still strongly advise against it. But if you are curious and would like to try it out, I invite you to try and report back with your thoughts:cheers:
We have had ours off for a year now and do not ever plan on installing again. We are running 37s and body lift plus do a lot of towing and highway miles to the trails.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
 

awalsh

Well-Known Member
Messages
349
Location
New Jersey
After reading up a few months ago about our stock front ends and how stiff the stock sway-bar is, I decided to do a little experiment and remove mine. As I know many of you probably advise very strongly against this on the street, but I have been driving with it off for 2 months now and have no plans on reinstalling it. That thing was WAY too stiff.

The truck handles high speed highway travel very well, almost un-noticeably different to be honest, and handles panic stops and evasive maneuvers much better than expected. From what I've experienced, body roll during evasive maneuvers whilst heading downhill on a slope, is not butt-puckering scary and I think that is all thanks to the very limited amount of wheel travel on our stock rigs. While putting around town, small bumps and pot holes encountered by only one wheel, are traversed over very smoothly with much less body roll and jolt due to the suspension being able to cycle truly independently. The ride quality overall feels MUCH better, but in my particular h3, my rear end feels a bit too stiff but I think I can blame that on 100k old springs...

Although I haven't been able to take it to any serious dirt to experience the better articulation offroad, I have bombed a few gravel/dirt roads and really do like the smoother ride.

I figured that I would volunteer myself as a guinea pig, as my curiosity was too strong to smother, so I just wanted to let you all know of my findings and experience.
Now, I absolutely do not want to encourage anyone to remove any sort of safety equipment from their vehicle, and I do expect some of you to still strongly advise against it. But if you are curious and would like to try it out, I invite you to try and report back with your thoughts:cheers:

Hmmm, I would like to try this. You have NOT influenced me in any sort of way [emoji6]
Now how did you take the front off? I've been thinking about doing the rear for a while especially because it whacks itself into my exhaust


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

Romeo

Well-Known Member
Messages
166
Location
New York City
Installed new battery and terminals (didn't wire the digital terminals yet).

Also tried to install the AFE Dry Pro intake and it looks like its missing the rubber boot that connects to the intake? Any one else have issues with this using the stock intake box?

e08738b29ccc2df8fbff33291d12c0f1.jpg
8db815a82afc5465f437aefb8527796d.jpg


Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
 

Romeo

Well-Known Member
Messages
166
Location
New York City
Can I Use my Rancho rear springs for SOA? Since I have the sagging tears I may move to a SOA come spring time. I hear adding a leaf can still result back to a sagging rear....


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

Panzer07

Well-Known Member
Messages
2,548
Location
Ontario, CA
Can I Use my Rancho rear springs for SOA? Since I have the sagging tears I may move to a SOA come spring time. I hear adding a leaf can still result back to a sagging rear....


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You can but it won't work...I tried mine and they flat out the spring hanger against the frame...sort of like they do with already by themselves.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
 

Romeo

Well-Known Member
Messages
166
Location
New York City
You can but it won't work...I tried mine and they flat out the spring hanger against the frame...sort of like they do with already by themselves.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Dammit, I no longer have my stock springs.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
 

Gunner_45

Super Moderator
Staff member
Messages
1,932
Location
Texas
Installed new battery and terminals (didn't wire the digital terminals yet).



8db815a82afc5465f437aefb8527796d.jpg


Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Just installed one of those bad boys myself............Almost went with an Optima (cheaper) but figured it was time to try an Odyssey.

Autozone had to special order it.

Easy peasy install and good fitment.

Still need to replace the terminals and do some wiring.

What terminals did you go with?
 

Chris Laun

Well-Known Member
Messages
78
Location
Los Angeles, CA
Hmmm, I would like to try this. You have NOT influenced me in any sort of way [emoji6]
Now how did you take the front off? I've been thinking about doing the rear for a while especially because it whacks itself into my exhaust


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The front sway bar has two mounts on the underside of the frame with (I believe four?) bolts. Once you get those out, remove the sway bar links from the lower control arms with (one bolt per side) and you're done! I don't think I would ever consider removing the rear sway bar. If its hitting your exhaust, you might as well cut that out instead:)
 

USMC_315

Well-Known Member
Messages
590
Location
Northern VA
What did I do with my H3 recently you ask? Hmmmm.... oh yeah, I saw it sitting in the back of a Caddy dealership the otherday :bc3:
 

awalsh

Well-Known Member
Messages
349
Location
New Jersey
The front sway bar has two mounts on the underside of the frame with (I believe four?) bolts. Once you get those out, remove the sway bar links from the lower control arms with (one bolt per side) and you're done! I don't think I would ever consider removing the rear sway bar. If its hitting your exhaust, you might as well cut that out instead:)

The exhaust does not bother me, I may just end up doing disconnects for the rear. Going to try and take off the front soon


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

Romeo

Well-Known Member
Messages
166
Location
New York City
Just installed one of those bad boys myself............Almost went with an Optima (cheaper) but figured it was time to try an Odyssey.

Autozone had to special order it.

Easy peasy install and good fitment.

Still need to replace the terminals and do some wiring.

What terminals did you go with?
I went with XScorpion Digital terminals from Amazon. Note if you decide to go with the digital terminals on the negative side you need to get an adapter to make up for the space.

I ordered the battery from Amazon for about $230ish.

Will you put the battery cover back on?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
 

chaos254

Well-Known Member
Messages
577
Location
United States
Broke 2 of my sway bar bushing bolts and realized the truck is very unstable with out a swaybar so now I'll need some new bolts and have to drill and tap the broken ones. Fun stuff. I did pick up a diehard agm in size 34, just need to find time to modify the tray

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
 

4speedfunk

Well-Known Member
Messages
4,250
Location
Tardville
Been there. You're talking about the bolts on the bottom of the frame rails (front sway bar)...and also on the rear axle (rear sway bar)...right? These bolts break off in the hole if you look at them wrong. Total beyotch to fix.
The ones on the rear axle can usually be spun all the way thru by using PB Blaster and vise grips on the broken piece (from the backside of the mount).
The fronts however cannot be retrieved from the backside, so plan on the usual "drill...break off an extractor...drill again...re-tap to a larger thread" trick. I've never been able to salvage them.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

chaos254

Well-Known Member
Messages
577
Location
United States
Been there. You're talking about the bolts on the bottom of the frame rails (front sway bar)...and also on the rear axle (rear sway bar)...right? These bolts break off in the hole if you look at them wrong. Total beyotch to fix.
The ones on the rear axle can usually be spun all the way thru by using PB Blaster and vise grips on the broken piece (from the backside of the mount).
The fronts however cannot be retrieved from the backside, so plan on the usual "drill...break off an extractor...drill again...re-tap to a larger thread" trick. I've never been able to salvage them.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep that's them. Broke the 2 passenger front ones and driver side came out fine. New bolts should be here today.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
 

JPaul

Well-Known Member
Messages
2,436
Location
Way up north, UT
Replaced the rear brake pads, they were just about to start hitting the wear indicator. I wasn't sure if I needed new rotors as well, and was in a bit if a hurry to order the parts, especially since they all dropped by $20 each on Amazon.

Turns out I didn't need the rotors, they were only down to 0.466" and were worn evenly. Plus I found in the FSM that you are not supposed to reuse the caliper bracket bolts, so it just wasn't worth it to me to replace the rotors. I'm going to send them back, I need the money anyways (stupid developers at work screwing up and costing everyone half their bonuses...).

I still need to bed the pads, but hopefully my commute to work tomorrow will take care of that, as long as no one is an idiot in front of me.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
 

Clark

Well-Known Member
Messages
166
Location
New York
rad.jpgI replaced my sorry plastic tanked radiator and replaced it with a complete aluminum radiator. I went thru
the same plastic problems with my old jeep XJ. Plastic radiators are just no damn good. I've had nothing but bad luck
with plastic tanked radiators. Never again. Happy Holidays Everyone!!!!
 
Last edited:

08H3

Well-Known Member
Messages
1,368
Location
United States
Did a partial run of the trails and filmed it for a friend. She's from Florida and has never wheeled in the snow. Hopefully we'll get a little more at some point so we can run them. Also took some pics during the outing. At -2 degrees, taking pics out the window is pretty nice! I was trying to get some pics of bald eagles, but there wasn't a whole lot of wildlife of any kind moving.
[video=youtube_share;jBlxM8CygtA]https://youtu.be/jBlxM8CygtA[/video]
 

awalsh

Well-Known Member
Messages
349
Location
New Jersey
https://vimeo.com/195876300
28afcecd806c623ae6307d21b002fbac.jpg

Installed a k&n filter today and did some wheeling last week! Sounds much deeper and throaty, love it. Also bought some new pods which I put underneath my winch plate (took them off the roof rack because I hated the look) and am debating on deleting the fog lights holes because I removed the pods in there.
Also would like to try and build my own bumper similar to Recons hmmwv bumper, so I can still use my brush guard/winch plate.
Finally, went to touch up my herculiner and saw it had dried out. The great customer service is sending me a new kit since the can was defective and would not close properly!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Last edited:
Top