• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Anyone have a quick/easy way to paint H3 door logo black?

07Custom

Well-Known Member
Messages
338
Location
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Hey guys I was wondering if there was an easy way to repaint the H3 logo on the door black. Mine is chipping a little bit and I want to catch it before it goes completely chrome haha Is it as simple as just taping it off REALLY good, or should I get some fishing line behind it and pull it off and then reattach with double sided tape? Eh, I'm tired and maybe I'm over thinking this lol
 

cgalpha08

"Like Nothing Else"
Messages
3,718
Location
Indianapolis, IN
Nooo leave them on, just tape around them to reduce the amount of over spray you get on other parts of your 3. You don't have tape right next to it either, just close so you get a nice edge to peel away when you clean it up. If you have any questions, concerns, etc, go to dipyourcar.com and read what the guy has there and check out the vids, extremely helpful, well to me they were atleast.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
 

Hunner

Well-Known Member
Messages
2,334
Location
Arkansas
I still mask with fine line tape right next to the edge, paper off a large area around it, scratch up with 3M scotch brite and shoot it with an air brush or if you practice, rattle can. Then shoot with clear coat.
It's not "quick" but if you do it a lot anyway it's not slow.
20970-1.jpg
 
Last edited:

Nacho

Now with Chese
Messages
1,240
Location
SoCal
Cant go wrong with the PlastiDip, Did my emblems with PlastiDip 3 months ago and its holding up great even being pressure washed. :link:

This is how easy it comes off:
[video=youtube_share;6httg4_lGaA]http://youtu.be/6httg4_lGaA[/video]
 

Hans3T

Lif"T"ed
Messages
3,035
Location
NC
I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned it, but you should probably use Plasti-dip.

:wink:

>Sent from my Secret Phone Shoe using Tapatalk<
 

08SolarFlareH3

Super Swampers
Messages
2,525
Location
Finger Lakes, NY
Like everyone else said, Plastidip. You don't have to worry about over spray and it holds up on emblems well. If one ever gets messed up, peal it off and respray.
DSCN1735.jpg
 

07Custom

Well-Known Member
Messages
338
Location
Albuquerque, New Mexico
I'm getting some plastidip tomorrow. It's gonna happen!

I'm seeing everyone use this on a ton of parts. Any of you guys plastidipped your grille? The black on my grille isn't looking horrible but there's some small chips and I'll be fixing it soon enough.
 

backcountryislife

Well-Known Member
Messages
858
Location
Dumont, CO
Idk if anyone has done their grill but i did my fenders.

2012-05-28_19-33-40_848.jpg


Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2


Approx how much did it take to do the fenders? I like this & the black grille a lot. My fenders are a bit beat up, thinking maybe this would be a good answer.

Do you feel like it adds any more protection? How tough is it to touch up areas that get scratched?
 

cgalpha08

"Like Nothing Else"
Messages
3,718
Location
Indianapolis, IN
Approx how much did it take to do the fenders? I like this & the black grille a lot. My fenders are a bit beat up, thinking maybe this would be a good answer.

Do you feel like it adds any more protection? How tough is it to touch up areas that get scratched?

Id say about 8 cans. But that is with a couple of messups resulting in a do over. Im not sure how well it will hold up on the trail, i was doing it more for the crap that the road throws up. The touch up seems easy enough just have to spray a couple of times to get the proper effect.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
 

DJinCO

Well-Known Member
Tonight I am starting to cover the plastidip with some krylon black. The plastidip grill holds the static-cling and everything from t-shirts to cottonwood cotton really sticks to the plastidip.

So I am experimenting with the krylon to see if that gives the plastidip a bit of a "shell."

I had to stop as we are getting hammered with a hail storm, so I pulled the vehicles into the garage. So far we have had a good hour of heavy rain and hail up to 1 inch.

Listening to my HAM radio, Nat Weather Service and TV, we are getting slammed.
 
Top