• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Anyone have a quick/easy way to paint H3 door logo black?

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Messages
9,503
Location
Meridian, ID
Tonight I am starting to cover the plastidip with some krylon black. The plastidip grill holds the static-cling and everything from t-shirts to cottonwood cotton really sticks to the plastidip.

So I am experimenting with the krylon to see if that gives the plastidip a bit of a "shell."

I had to stop as we are getting hammered with a hail storm, so I pulled the vehicles into the garage. So far we have had a good hour of heavy rain and hail up to 1 inch.

Listening to my HAM radio, Nat Weather Service and TV, we are getting slammed.

Dipyourcar.com just came out with a special cloth to clean plasti dip with so you don't get any cotton or other crap on it.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
 

backcountryislife

Well-Known Member
Messages
858
Location
Dumont, CO
Well... thanks to this thread I finally bought some dip when I went to home cheapot.


Did all 5 badges, and grille in about 40 min while I took a break from work.

527836_3438600045820_843268522_n.jpg



As someone who used to paint for a living (spraying new houses) I found 3 things.

#1, it's hard (for me) to resist masking like you normally would, tight to the item being painted
#2, it works WAY better when you DON'T do a good job masking.
#3, once you accept that... holy crap is this stuff easy to use.

Badges & grille, 4-5 thick coats each, left me with a little of my first can left over. Now I've got two more cans sitting here... guess it's time to look at the fenders!!
 

backcountryislife

Well-Known Member
Messages
858
Location
Dumont, CO
I'm hoping with some dirt & sun the grille will be a little closer to the bumper, not looking quite so unnatural.


Looking at it now, I almost wonder if the gunmetal grey wouldn't match the existing plastics better?

_wsb_401x299_photo1.jpg



I wonder how much the black will fade.
 

backcountryislife

Well-Known Member
Messages
858
Location
Dumont, CO
FYI, a little follow up to the Plasti-dip install...

After about 6 runs in the 2 weeks since I did the plasti-dip, the sharp edge at the outside of the turn signal has a decent chunk of nicks in it from brush, but otherwise it looks pretty good.


Seems like it gets beat up in general from the brush/ wear.

I was thinking about doing the fenders, but after seeing how quickly this wore, I think I'll hold out for bedliner instead. The fenders take a lot of beating, as much or more than the grill, so I think it would get chipped up pretty fast.

Still worth doing imo, but it's not the most long term type of product.
 
Top