• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

What did you do with your H3 recently? NEW

lugantom

Well-Known Member
Messages
62
Location
Peru, IL
M416 Overlanding Trailer Project

Also been making a bit of progress on my M416 trailer. I sort of had a DIY rooftop tent going on it for years; used it when my kids were little and when I went to Boy Scout Camp as an adult leader. It has sort of sat for a while.

Concept of my project is that everything must be removable. This is my utility trailer, so I use it for hauling gravel, picking up lumber, and, for camping places that you can't get an RV or Travel Trailer.

Nothing sexy at this point - just an important lesson. Don't wait a couple of decades to pull cotter pins and change shocks. I had to cut off both ends of the cotter pins and drill out the holes, breaking several bits in the process. Not fun.

Here's an old pic of how I set up my tent on my tables (may have posted this on here before):

IMG_4483.jpg
IMG_4480.jpg
IMG_4479.jpg

This is what it looks like when you don't change your shocks for a couple of decades:

IMG_9474.jpg
IMG_9433.jpg
IMG_9432.jpg
IMG_9431.jpg
IMG_9429.jpg
IMG_9430.jpg
 

Traxx

Well-Known Member
Messages
682
Location
PNW
That is a sweet setup with the oz tent/ teardrop combo, well done.


I thought 'wow that is a cool little tear drop I need to check them out.' - 30k+ :whaa: Really preying on the crossover market.
 
Last edited:

stix

Active Member
Messages
43
Location
Orlando, Fl
That is a sweet setup with the oz tent/ teardrop combo, well done.


I thought 'wow that is a cool little tear drop I need to check them out.' - 30k+ :whaa: Really preying on the crossover market.

Thanks - FYI that the camper is an Intech Pursue can be had new for <$14K... a few listed used for closer to $10K...the top market brands like MOBY or OFFGRID will push the $30K mark tho
 

stix

Active Member
Messages
43
Location
Orlando, Fl
Since a full DIN stereo was installed, a new switch plate was needed for the lights on the Gobi (4 frnt + 2 rear) + the BG PIAAs...< insert lights b4 lockers comment here> ;)

Found this on amazon and wired it up today. The two spare switches will be used for trickle charge for aux batter for fridge, and 12 v socket on rear bumper ( I think)


WATERWICH 6 Gang Switch Panel Electronic Relay System Circuit Control Box Waterproof Fuse Relay Box Wiring Harness Assemblies For Car Auto Truck Boat Marine (Universal 6 gang button switch panel) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0749D7G8B/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_U0tOCbTSAN7B5
 

Attachments

  • C47AF74C-4CEA-41FF-9E7A-4DD41E5D03BC.jpeg
    C47AF74C-4CEA-41FF-9E7A-4DD41E5D03BC.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 765

JPaul

Well-Known Member
Messages
2,436
Location
Way up north, UT
Super easy installation (H13+H10) but ...can't recall if I've every had to stop twice in an hour to clear my headlights. Anyone else done BEAMTECH in ... wet light snow?

That is one of the problems with LED, they don't heat the housing up to keep snow/ice clear in typical use. Really low temps/bad storms of course will block over even halogen's, but most of the time the heat from the bulb is enough to keep them clear. That's why Speaker and all them make heated LED housings. Wonder if OEM (Audi, Caddilac, etc) does the same?
 

Traxx

Well-Known Member
Messages
682
Location
PNW
Parked next to a Silverado the other day at home depot, walking by I glanced at his tailgate then backed up and looked at mine and thought hmmmmm. I hate the gimmicky pop n lock tailgate lock that I have.
Looks like it should work, a little hot glue and I can mount the backup cam in the second bezel I ordered and get it off the rear bumper. Since i'll have the tailgate off to run the cam wiring may as well throw the assist strut on it too.

IMG_1084.JPG
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1084.JPG
    IMG_1084.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 670

Traxx

Well-Known Member
Messages
682
Location
PNW
Ordered a front and rear dashcam off an Amazon lightning deal, an Apeman 860, seems to get great reviews and I got it cheap. Since I need to gut the interior to drop the headliner to install the rear cam and fix the drains I guess now would be a great time to order all the sound deadening. Pulling the dash should be a joy but i'm looking forward to no more interior squeaks or rattles when i'm done.
 

scoreh3

Well-Known Member
Messages
1,024
Location
SoCal
Put in outfitter design front dif bushing, what a difference. Also changed f&r dif and t-case fluids while I had everything apart. Put in a scangauge II , still working on getting it all set up. Having trouble with oil pressure reading, it reads 78 and doesn’t change.
 

JPaul

Well-Known Member
Messages
2,436
Location
Way up north, UT
Put in outfitter design front dif bushing, what a difference. Also changed f&r dif and t-case fluids while I had everything apart. Put in a scangauge II , still working on getting it all set up. Having trouble with oil pressure reading, it reads 78 and doesn’t change.
Did you see Alpha X's thread? Can't recall if you have the V8 or the I5 (and you can't see sig's on Tapatalk). Pretty sure the I5 is only a oil pressure switch and not a sender like the V8 has. If you have the V8 it will definitely work.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
 

cgalpha08

"Like Nothing Else"
Messages
3,716
Location
Indianapolis, IN
Ordered a winch. Smittybuilt X20 10k pound pull synthetic line winch.

Northridge 4x4 is having a sale, $419 shipped for this, they are clearing out the warehouse.
4wp also has good deals on smittybuilt winches incase anyone is looking.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
 

JTRX

Member
Messages
21
Location
Northern Virginia
Rausch Creek PA

Took the truck to Rausch Creek off road park over the weekend. The Rocky Road sliders worked like they were supposed to. The step hung up a time or two but I find it useful enough that I didn't mind dealing with it. Capture1.JPGCapture2.JPGBroke the sway bar link.Capture3.JPG Fender flares had to go. Capture5.JPGCapture4.JPGIMG_20190406_120704.jpg
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20190406_091821.jpg
    IMG_20190406_091821.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 740

Acer4LO

Well-Known Member
Messages
801
Location
Illinois
Took the truck to Rausch Creek off road park over the weekend. The Rocky Road sliders worked like they were supposed to. The step hung up a time or two but I find it useful enough that I didn't mind dealing with it. Broke the sway bar link. Fender flares had to go.

Looks like you had fun! Great pictures! Yeah I don't like any aftermarket fender flares on my H3 because of the same problem.
 

lugantom

Well-Known Member
Messages
62
Location
Peru, IL
Latest Changes to Redneck Overland Trailer 2.0

Made a bit more progress on Rev 2.0 of my M 416 trailer as a combination utility and overland trailer. Everything must be easy to remove so I can also use the trailer to haul construction debris, etc.

IMG_9643[1].JPG

IMG_9676[1].JPG
 

chaos254

Well-Known Member
Messages
577
Location
United States
Lots of new parts and still a bunch to go on. So far did a new steering rack, mount kit, power steering lines, power steering pump, trans lines and replaced the ujoint and CV on my front driveshaft.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
 

SlcHummer

Well-Known Member
Messages
368
Location
Salt Lake City, UT
Recently installed Outfitter Design heavy duty tie-rods, external trans cooler with thermostat bypass and a snorkel. Sorry for the bad pics of the trans cooler as I didn't take pictures while installing and grill prevents taking good pics.

IMG_2100.jpg

IMG_2105.jpg

IMG_2109.jpg

IMG_2115.jpg
 
Top