• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Used engine install

Reloader

Well-Known Member
Messages
413
Location
Montana a free state
Just finished replacing an engine in a used 06 H3. Its one we sold about a month ago that returned with the missfire problem indicating a possible bad head. You could watch the missfires count up on the scanner while idling on cylinder 3 and it had a noticable engine shake. There was a reason this truck was traded in as it had a new ignition coil and spark plug in hole 3. Moving the secondary ignition componants to another hole didnt make a difference as it still missed on cyl 3. Since I was still off work they sent it to the GM dealer to get checked out and they said the same thing I did. Bad head. Quoted us $3500 to repair. I started back to work on the 11th so they asked if I would do a head replacement. I passed as I've never done one of these yet. But I did say I would install a used engine . Same price in the end. We found a used engine from an 06 that had 25K less miles and has had the head replaced. Was able to pull the complete engine out at once. Had to swap the exhaust manifold to the replacement as it wasn't included. Probably due to the cat mounted on the manifold having scrap value. A slot in the bottom of the bell housing gives good access to the converter bolts. Pulled the fan and fan shroud, set the power steering pump aside and removed the alternator. Had to pull the ac charge and remove the suction pipe over the front of the motor. You need to unbolt the front diff housing and let it hang there by the axle shafts for extra clearance. Engine just clears radiator and firewall but you need to unbolt the starter once its out a ways to clear the firewall. Didn't even have to remove the hood. Just unhooked the hood struts and tipped hood back for plenty of clearance to lift the motor. Took me about 10hrs start to finish considering it was 90 degrees in the shop yesterday. Good thing is it pays 15.6 hrs. These trucks really are easy to work on. On the test drive this truck was really nice to drive. Ice cold ac and very solid vehicle for having 100K miles. I really hate the window switch location on the early models. The TPMS light came on during the test drive and I was told the customer had complained about this. It turned out to be a bad sensor in the RR tyre. I took the sensor out of the spare and replaced it with a rubber stem. The spare is a different brand tyre and has never been on the ground. Told the customer we upgraded his TPMS system to 08 specs. Even with the itty bitty stock tyres on this 06, my alpha still has a whole lot more get up and go with the 315s. Truck is a lux model with leather, nav, chrome, DVD in headrests, sunroof, etc... Obviously its a mall cruiser as the underneath was scratch and dent free. Say, does anyone else have a small tray in their center consol under the armrest? I want one of those. Time for a trip to the dealer. Anyhow , since I haven't posted in a while I thought I'd tell my story. Later dudes.:)
 

JGBB04

Well-Known Member
Messages
520
Location
Tampa Bay
I think that small tray was part of the luxury package. Cool write up on the engine
Ya that tray was an option, got mine free though, it was in the truck on the test drive but not when I went to pick up so I asked where it was & the salesman just gave me one.
 

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Messages
9,503
Location
Meridian, ID
I have that tray too...06 luxury. Its cool you did a motor swap on an H3! As for the power...I drive that ballsless 3.5L every day with 35's, added weight, a non tuned PCM and up a lot of hills, all I can is that it keeps me out of trouble...I love to drive fast and if I didnt daily drive the hummer all my mod money would be in paying off tickets.

I am very happy to hear that the H3 is in great shape with 100k miles. I am at 91k and when I picked it up at the dealership they said the H3 is in really good condition for the miles and abuse it has been through. I think these powertrains will last a long time.
 

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Messages
10,673
Location
Scottsdale
I've wondered the same thing so we can perhaps advise future problem holders on how better to solve it w/o having to go to the dealer.
 

Reloader

Well-Known Member
Messages
413
Location
Montana a free state
Well my used engine install came back yesterday to haunt me. Customer claims it overheats. Its been in the 90s lately and and he claims it runs hot compared to his brothers H3. Also says it got hot at a stop light and the ac went hot. I drove it 25 miles and didnt experience a single problem. The temp outside was about 88 degrees. It was nice to get out of the heat in the shop for a while. I drove it at varying speeds on the highway with ac on full and switched between 3rd and 4th gears to get rpms up. The temp guage never made to the middle mark till I drove around town in stop and go traffic. The guage was slightly above the middle mark at times. Sat and idled for 30 minutes and no problem. I suspect maybe the stat stuck and is now working. Anyone experience this? Since I couldnt duplicate the complaint I'm recommending a new stat as a place to start. I hate throwing parts at a problem when I cant experience it firsthand.
Customer also says the radio/nav unit quit working because water came out the center ac vents and shorted it out. What say you, opinions???
 

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Messages
9,503
Location
Meridian, ID
what the hell...thats weird. Is it possible the stat was stuck and freed itself? I thought that has happened before.
 

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Messages
10,673
Location
Scottsdale
Well, as for the a/c and radio that should be relatively easy to troubleshoot. The water traces should be easy to identify. As you know, those center vents go straight into the center cover so the water would very likely have to drip down the front of the dash vs. inside the dash. You should also see traces of water in the vent itself, assuming there was even the smallest amount of dust in there before. There should be dried marks in that dust. However, I bet if you took apart that nav unit you might find something other than water - coffee, Coke, etc.

As for the thermostat, I think you are going in the right direction. But wasn't there also a gauge calibration at some point in the H3 history? I could be mistaken but for some reason I thought GM might've replaced gauge clusters in some H3s when people complained just to show a lower temp, even though it ran the same temp. Unfortunately, I don't think the H3 gauge is a good indicator of the actual temperature of the engine, it's just a relative indicator meaning as it moves up it is hotter, down it is cooler but it doesn't show you the actual temp.

My "normal" H3 is just above half to nearly 3/4 when it is hot outside. Above 3/4 tells me the engine is getting too hot, but below that is still "normal".
 

Reloader

Well-Known Member
Messages
413
Location
Montana a free state
I pulled the radio/nav unit and inspected it for liquid damage . None was apparent but I didnt think to look inside ductwork for signs of water. I'll recheck that when it returns for a new stat install. My experience with GMs and t-stat problems usually results from a P code indicating to long warm up time meaning stat opening too soon and poor heat situations in cold weather.
I checked both Alldata and Identifix for TSBs addressing temp guage recalibration but found nothing listed. I'll check at my dealer tomorrow or Friday when I pick up my new Austrailian style front side markers and clear front turn signal lenses. I was also able to order that little tray for the center consul storage compartment.
Today its 100 degrees out and humid. Driving my Alpha around town with the air on got my temp guage up to near 3/4 at times. Its just stiffling outside and I have to work in this heat tomorrow. Really looking forward to that.
 

Hunner

Well-Known Member
Messages
2,334
Location
Arkansas
The head thing as I understood it and had one replaced was that the supplier supposedly did not harden the valve seats or guides or maybe the whole head. I got varying comments on which it was.
I do "recall" somewhere there is a post about a notice to dealers about replacing the temp gauge so customers would be happy the gauge read lower even though that did not change the temp.
The trays were available from parts if you did not have a lux. I got one for my 06 but one came in the 08 lux.
_DSC8284_resize.jpg

_DSC8285_resize.jpg
 

Reloader

Well-Known Member
Messages
413
Location
Montana a free state
Well, the customer came back on Monday and showed me a picture of the temp guage when running hot. Halfway between the middle mark and 3/4 mark. I told him thats normal in this heat. He claims no it isn't and was headed to the dealer to get it checked. I think they told him the same thing as we haven't heard back from him.
I got my euro style front side markers and one of the turn signal lenses. Both lenses came but one was amber in the box. The box has the correct part number so it was packaged wrong and they reordered another one. All are in stock in some distribution center in Michigan. The clear turn signal lenses use a different style socket and a smaller bulb and socket for the forward marker light. I'll need to do some trimming to make the original work with a yellow bulb. And I got my little tray for the center consol storage compartment. The part number is 15832106 and cost me $23.83. List is $31.38. The tray fills the whole opening and conceals the lower storage area so maybe no one will find my side arm when I have to leave it in the H3 while in an establishment that doesn't let me practice my 2nd amendment right. Although the signs appear to be coming down around here which is good. I never leave the 3 unlocked but you never know. Thieves are everywhere.
 

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Messages
9,503
Location
Meridian, ID
I was at 3/4 today I was at freeway speed on an incline for a few miles. I wasnt concerned...H3s run hot.
 

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Messages
10,673
Location
Scottsdale
Halfway between middle and 3/4? Yeah, that's guys on the wrong track if he thinks that's abnormal.
 
Top