• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Time for new front brake pads - suggestions before I pull the wheels off?

H3ATH3N

Well-Known Member
Messages
71
Location
Phoenix, AZ
Brakes have been squeelin' for a while. I wanted an overall look at the truck so I took to the dealer and they said I needed new front pads and quoted me over $350. I told them to hold off, pulled out my phone and researched. Found AC Delco Ceramic pads for $40 and saw vids and some write ups on H40 - looks pretty quick and easy. Pads just delivered - weekend mapped out. Anyone have tips for a mechanically inclined, but unseasoned, diy'er (with limited tools and patience)?
 

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Messages
10,673
Location
Scottsdale
Call me and I can come help. Well, wait a bit to call as they are about to close the plane's doors but I will be home late afternoon. Easy job
 

RamRod

Well-Known Member
Messages
3,914
Location
AB, Canada
A very simplified how-to:


  1. Pop the hood
  2. Unscrew the brake fluid master cylinder cap
  3. Block tires
  4. jack up truck
  5. remove tire
  6. remove caliper
  7. remove old brake pads
  8. Press in caliper pistons (this is the had part if you don't have the tools, I use a piece of steel stock and a big "C" clamp vise grip on each side to slowly push the calipers back in, alternating sides. Make sure you do them at the same time, if you don't you will just push in one piston and the other will pop out creating a whole new set of problems!!)
  9. Apply grease to caliper where the pad meets the caliper
  10. install caliper
  11. Install tire
  12. lower truck

Start again on the other side.

Step 8 is where a caliper clamp comes in handy
 

digglesworth

Well-Known Member
Messages
1,789
Location
illinois
When I did mine, I went to AutoZone and picked up some new slide pins and springs for cheap. Didnt wanna mess with the old ones. Inspect your piston boots to make sure there's no holes in them that could let crap into the pistons. I had a small one and just patched it with a little dab of rtv. Lubed up the boots with synthetic brake lube before I used a c-clamp to push the pistons in. Lubed up the back of the pads, the caliper slide pins and anywhere else there's movement. Haven't had any squeaks or noise since...
 

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Messages
10,673
Location
Scottsdale
A hardware kit is good to have if your pads did not come with them. Need caliper grease too. Two good posts above.
 

Airborne

Just a regular dude
Messages
294
Location
Utah
Biggest suggestion I have is make sure to change them before they start eating the rotors!!! :( Ask me why.... took over 2 hours of beating on the rotors because they were rusted to the hubs. 30 min brake change took hours long. .

The step by step above should get on track. Just swapping the pads is pretty straight forward. If I remember you don't even need to remove the calipers pads slide right out the top... Might be mistaken I have changed out 3 sets on 3 cars in the last two months. :)

Above posts are spot on. Take Alex up on the offer too it will go twice as fast!
 

scoreh3

Well-Known Member
Messages
1,024
Location
SoCal
Check your rotors for hot spots too . If you can have the rotor turned to to give you a new clean stopping surface . And like the above posts LUBE ALL MOVING PARTS !
 

H3ATH3N

Well-Known Member
Messages
71
Location
Phoenix, AZ
Thanks for the feedback all!
Alex - I may take you up on the offer (dunno if you'll still have time as it's 6p here already) - - then I can:
> get you to show me the steps for sway bar disconnectin'
> pick on you for not returning previous texts
- - > and complain how you swooped in and grabbed the front bumper that I was slooooooooowly getting around to
;)
 

Bigunit

Hammer Down!
Staff member
Messages
6,561
Location
Arizona
That sounds like Alex...never returns my texts either! [emoji12] JK of course because he always comes through and is as reliable as they come.
 

southernhummerguy

Active Member
Messages
31
Location
Columbia, SC
Changing the front brake pads is insanely easy! I was quoted around $300-$400, too, so I bought a pair for $25 on ebay. It's pretty straight forward:
-Jack it up and remove the wheel
-Undo the retainers and pull out the old pad
-THEDO NOT FORGET STEP: You have to push the piston back before installing the new pad. A c-clamp works pretty well (I used a 4").
-Install the new pad and replace the retainers
-Put the tire back on and drop 'er down

That's pretty much it. I'd also recommend pushing the brake a couple times before driving it to readjust the piston against the pads. It'll probably take a drive or two to get used to the feel, and there's going to be a lot of added weight from all that money in your pocket! :HA:
 

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Messages
10,673
Location
Scottsdale
We got it done yesterday. I was able to show off the bumper that stole from under H3ATH3N's nose :wink:
 
S

SedonaBound

Guest
Pull the rotors and get them turned. Kinda silly not to when doing a brake job.
+1. If you don't reface the rotors, they'll wear much quicker and be frozen to the hubs next time; like Airborne described above.
 

H3ATH3N

Well-Known Member
Messages
71
Location
Phoenix, AZ
So easy to do - it was like I didn't do much at all! Thanks for all the input and tips as I was able to understand the process and have some confidence digging into it. If you're considering doing work to your rig, I definitely recommend getting one of these
attachment.php
in your garage - they work WONDERS! (Thanks again Alex - you rock)

PS - I may have missed it in the forum, but how about a "diy" section where best descriptions of "how to's" can be organized to make them easier to locate on the forum? There's a ton of info here, it's just hard to find it much of the time... then again, if I knew how to do all the things that I want to do, I may end up broke and kicked out of the house for it.... hmmm....
 

Attachments

  • alex.jpg
    alex.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 816
Top