• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

SoCal Event - 2N17X - March 10, 2012

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Messages
10,673
Location
Scottsdale
W@rpig - I think that post was directed at you. The nerf bar steps on your truck are a significant liability on the trail. They will get bent and even turn into parking brakes as they get pushed into your tires.

If you are going to offroad your truck you need to begin considering modifications to your truck and the stocking of equipment and supplies. It doesn't have to happen all at once, but you'll want some or all of this to occur:
Removal of nerf bars
Installation of UCP (under-carriage protection)
Installation of rocker protection
CB radio for trail communication
Compressor (and tire gauge) to air up tires after a trail run (Tires are deflated for better traction, safety and comfort on the trail)
Tire repair kit (holes happen)
Quality recovery strap and d-rings
Spare parts - tie rods and half shaft are a good start
Basic tools and a few specialty tools, including wrenches for tie rods and socket for half shaft removal
Spare clothes, food, water for the trail
A net, straps, etc. to secure this equipment inside your truck

This is just a starter list. I think there are other threads on the forum or you can start a new one and get some opinions.
 

W@RPIG

Well-Known Member
Messages
79
Location
Pasadena TX
W@rpig - I think that post was directed at you. The nerf bar steps on your truck are a significant liability on the trail. They will get bent and even turn into parking brakes as they get pushed into your tires.If you are going to offroad your truck you need to begin considering modifications to your truck and the stocking of equipment and supplies. It doesn't have to happen all at once, but you'll want some or all of this to occur:Removal of nerf barsInstallation of UCP (under-carriage protection)Installation of rocker protectionCB radio for trail communicationCompressor (and tire gauge) to air up tires after a trail run (Tires are deflated for better traction, safety and comfort on the trail)Tire repair kit (holes happen)Quality recovery strap and d-ringsSpare parts - tie rods and half shaft are a good startBasic tools and a few specialty tools, including wrenches for tie rods and socket for half shaft removalSpare clothes, food, water for the trailA net, straps, etc. to secure this equipment inside your truckThis is just a starter list. I think there are other threads on the forum or you can start a new one and get some opinions.
Thanks alot for the much needed info
 

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
Messages
10,530
Location
Central Texas
To start with others will have all the recovery gear. If there are other H3s they will most likely have spares and tools. Start with what you can and build slowly. Odds are you won't need any of it but if you do it is good to have it.
 

cbetts

NERD!!!
Messages
3,188
Location
Rancho Palos Verdes, CA
You will pick up on this stuff just as the rest of of have. I got stuck on the trail with a bent tie rod and no spare at 2:00 in the morning.


The group stayed together and got me off the trail. No one gets left behind.

We even had a gentleman blow a radiator hose at 11,000 ft in the Sierras up by Bishop, CA. We patched him up and got him off the trail just fine.


Come to think of it, the leader on my first run snapped a half shaft. My father was the first guy to jump under the truck to make repairs.


As far as the steps, I had to take mine off while on my first trail.
 

W@RPIG

Well-Known Member
Messages
79
Location
Pasadena TX
Nice im glad to see a very friendly forum /folks Just dont wanna feel like im taking advantage of peoples gear
 

Zach

Mall Crawler
Messages
4,812
Location
So Cal
This is absolutely a GREAT group to wheel with. You won't regret it. My first trip out, I was lacking a lot of stuff ie cb. Cbetts took care of me on that. Since then, I have built my truck and what I carry in my truck. Once you go out with us, I pretty much guarantee you will be hooked and be back. At least that's what happened to me and most others in the group
 

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Messages
10,673
Location
Scottsdale
Nice im glad to see a very friendly forum /folks Just dont wanna feel like im taking advantage of peoples gear
I was just giving you a build-to list to be done over time. As you head out with the group you'll gain information to make your own choices.
 

Kurt

Well-Known Member
Messages
958
Location
Orange County, CA
And of course a spare tire and a socket to remove the bolts if you have security sockets ...

:D

A good idea is to get one of the craftsmen/kobalt/husky tool kits for $70-100 and keep that as your truck's tool kit for trail fixes with perhaps a piece of pipe thrown in to use as a breaker bar. That and a tow strap would be a good start.

Tire inflation/deflation is handy as other's said.
 

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
Messages
10,530
Location
Central Texas
Craig is right. Seth broke a half shaft, wore it out is more accurate and his dad and I jumped in and fixed it. Wasn't even room for Seth to crawl under and help. Great group. NO one ever gets left. We have come out of the desert the next day and down Big Bear at 3:00 in the morning but we will get everyone home. Most trips, nothing happens but being prepared gives the peace of mind that you will get home no matter what. Come on out. You will love it and more than likely appreciate your truck even more.
 

Portager

■ ☼▐▐▐▐▐▐▐ ☼■
Messages
1,506
Location
Silverado
We can team up with our compressors just as long as it doesn't become a habit. I will remember to bring my spare CB as well. I think having a new member on a trail adds fun for everyone. We get to look back on ourselves when we first went wheeling.

I also have a spare handheld CB and my CO2 tank can fill extra tires. I even have a spare half shaft and tie rod if you need it.


Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk, which removes "unnecessary" returns.
 

cbetts

NERD!!!
Messages
3,188
Location
Rancho Palos Verdes, CA
I also carry a lot of stuff:
  • Two half shafts
  • Two complete tie rod assemblies
  • Tools (includes special items for replacing spare parts)
  • 30' recovery strap w/large clevis
  • Shovel
  • HiLift
  • First Aid Kit
  • Fire extinguisher
  • Multisaw (includes metal and wood cutting blades)
  • Portable air compressor
  • Duct tape
  • Tire repair kit
  • Fuses
  • Flashlights
Yeah, you will be in good shape with us.
 

W@RPIG

Well-Known Member
Messages
79
Location
Pasadena TX
Good stuff i greatly appreciate all the info and help hopefully this weekend i can order me some much needed bigger tires to replace my crappy worn out 265's
 

abearden

Well-Known Member
Messages
609
Location
N. Idaho
If I thought my truck could get close to handling this trail at the moment, I'd be all over this as a first run. Looks awesome.
 

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Messages
10,673
Location
Scottsdale
Yes, you don't want to take those 265s on the trail. Trust me - I speak from experience both on my truck and others. Like the time Jerry S. and I came upon a guy in Ouray with three flats (and one shredded wheel) as he came off the trail.
 

W@RPIG

Well-Known Member
Messages
79
Location
Pasadena TX
Yes, you don't want to take those 265s on the trail. Trust me - I speak from experience both on my truck and others. Like the time Jerry S. and I came upon a guy in Ouray with three flats (and one shredded wheel) as he came off the trail.
Jesus that sucks i think im going with the 315/75/16 Duratracs wrapped on my 16' stockers Any suggestions?
 

Portager

■ ☼▐▐▐▐▐▐▐ ☼■
Messages
1,506
Location
Silverado
I had BFG KM2 in the 306/70R16 (33" diameter) before I went to Cooper STT 315/75R16. Both are excellent tires, but I like the Cooper STT slightly better because they are a little quieter at highway speed.
 

Zach

Mall Crawler
Messages
4,812
Location
So Cal
I am running KM2's and on my second set. They have been excellent so far and have put them through a lot
 

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Messages
9,503
Location
Meridian, ID
I had bald 265s like u, then went to 315 duratracs. I really like em have about 30k on them and they are starting to chunk and ride rougher but I blame that on the owner...I have only done 2 rotations in 30k miles. If u rotate them like ur supposed to I have heard of guys getting over 50k miles with them

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
 
Top