• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

So who says you can't screw up a cast iron front diff?

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Messages
10,672
Location
Scottsdale
Well, after shaving off about half of the ring teeth in Moab (beginning on Hell's and ending on Metal Masher) I decided to be stubborn and drive the H3 back to the condo instead of pulling the CV axles and prop shaft on the trail. I mean, what's the harm?

Front%20diff%20%284%29-L.jpg


I picked up a new ring and pinion and a diff rebuild kit. Steve put it all together and voila! It ain't spinning smoothly. It appears that I tweaked the case, possibly from driving it and with material getting between the ring and pinion, it may have tweaked and bent the case. Only 19,000 miles on that diff and case.

To top it off, the CI diff is no longer in production and none are in stock anywhere in the US. I was able to find a take off case but I won't be able to get it for a while. At least the new steering rack is in and I can drive it in 2WD.

So next time I do something stubborn and stupid like this on the trail, please slap some sense into me. Unless it's Zach, because his hands are too big.
 

Jeepwalker

Well-Known Member
Messages
976
Location
WI
Ouch! that sucks.

Before you condemn it, I would take the rear diff/vehicle to a very good differential shop. They might have some suggestions, or be able to do some creative shimming to get it to work again. It can't be off that much. If that doesn't work, you could see about tweaking it 'back' into shape, if you figure exactly how it's 'out of shape' (which direction to pull it back to 'true'). Other than that, I guess keep your eye out for a used one on ebay or contact guys who are parting out an Alpha. But I would consult with a couple experienced diff or trucking shops and get their take. If the case is a little off, I can't imagine things can't be creatively shimmed.
 
Last edited:

EndeavoredH3

Well-Known Member
Messages
486
Location
Arizona
Decided to get off pavement the other weekend and had some
weird cracks and bangs. I think the v notch sheared my pins, wasn’t nice on it. Now it has hesitation each revolution, probably needs new pins but probably going to swap in the 14 bolt now.

#3 for carnage on metal masher
E4AA0059-FF78-4856-A037-9FC333FF804F.jpeg
AF35C774-884F-47E9-A3FA-DAA2F77B686E.jpeg
 

jakesz28

Well-Known Member
Messages
1,056
Location
Cabool MO
I may be parting with the cast iron front dif and locker I built at some point. Won't help you right now. Need to buy another daily before I start this project. Just put 37's on the ZR2, so it won't be much of a daily now.
 

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Messages
10,672
Location
Scottsdale
I may be parting with the cast iron front dif and locker I built at some point. Won't help you right now. Need to buy another daily before I start this project. Just put 37's on the ZR2, so it won't be much of a daily now.
Dib! Assuming you're accepting dibs on that part when you eventually part with it. Don't need it right now but I'm sure I'll screw up again.
 

Sledder10

Member
Messages
12
Location
Mississippi
I may be parting with the cast iron front dif and locker I built at some point. Won't help you right now. Need to buy another daily before I start this project. Just put 37's on the ZR2, so it won't be much of a daily now.
I'm located in MS and enjoy travelling up to the Ozarks.. pretty close to your neck of the woods. Whats your timeframe on parting with it? and what gears are in it?
 
Top