• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Roof cargo basket rack and mpg!

Happy Hummer

Well-Known Member
Messages
1,464
Location
Wisconsin
Took the H3 to Cedarburg today and wow with new cargo rack got less than expected mpg. Just didn't realize the dramatic drain of mpg till got back.
On a side note it was a beautiful day and we enjoyed our annual outing as always. Saw a H2 in town.
Chris
 

Pappibri

Well-Known Member
Messages
1,611
Location
Cohoctah, MI
Yeah, when I put on my roof rack my mileage dropped just noticeably. So adding up my leveling, 35's, roof rack, rock rails, UCP, and brushguard, I noticed a drop of about 2 mpg.
 

rsc

Well-Known Member
Messages
1,087
Location
Tulsa
Me too, didn't get much better mileage than my H3 as I recall. 20-22 everywhere.
 

cgalpha08

"Like Nothing Else"
Messages
3,718
Location
Indianapolis, IN
Full length Gobi ranger rack, 2nd spare, BA bumper, rock rails, ucp....12mpg highway!! :horns:
Sometimes better. Oh and tha'ts with a set of 32's on there. Luckily for me i live maybe a mile from work so the truck doesn't even get hot by the time I get there.
I turned a brick into an even bigger brick.
 

digglesworth

Well-Known Member
Messages
1,789
Location
illinois
I get 17-20 everywhere with my roof basket. It's got leds and an awning and a hi lift for extra drag. I don't have a basis for comparison since it's been on for a while. I will say that it does catch more crosswinds on the highway. Not like our trucks are real aerodynamic but I did notice the gusts pushed the truck around a little more.
 

Happy Hummer

Well-Known Member
Messages
1,464
Location
Wisconsin
Lol. Yes zombies. Haha
Idk I've always gotten approximately 17-18 mpg on hiway but this time 13.65 mpg was about it. Ugh!
Yea I get that the H3 is a brick haha but this was a big hit to the nutz.
Chris
 
H

H3Ray

Guest
From what I understand a Roof Rack Device suffers the most MPG and why I won't buy one and saving 2/3 MPG to me is worth it ....
 

Pappibri

Well-Known Member
Messages
1,611
Location
Cohoctah, MI
From what I understand a Roof Rack Device suffers the most MPG and why I won't buy one and saving 2/3 MPG to me is worth it ....

When one buys a Hummer or any 4x4 especially with modifications, good gas mileage is non prevalent. Its all about functionality, reliability and looks.
 

Pappibri

Well-Known Member
Messages
1,611
Location
Cohoctah, MI
I just bought a rola rack. Can't wait for it to come in!
I have had mine for going on 3 years now. I live in Michigan, so I touch up the paint every spring to keep the rust from destroying it... I love it though. Did you get the extension with it...?
 

Robbie_

Active Member
Messages
38
Location
USA
I have had mine for going on 3 years now. I live in Michigan, so I touch up the paint every spring to keep the rust from destroying it... I love it though. Did you get the extension with it...?

Yeah I got the extension. It looks so much better in my opinion with the extension
 
H

H3Ray

Guest
I don't understand this Roof Rack hype? The H3 has enough cabin room. I think it's a waste of $.
 

cgalpha08

"Like Nothing Else"
Messages
3,718
Location
Indianapolis, IN
I don't understand this Roof Rack hype? The H3 has enough cabin room. I think it's a waste of $.

I will agree that there is enough cabin space...for 2 people haha. If you have 4 people and their stuff, good luck. I know mine came in very handy when 3 of my friends and I went to Florida and took my car. The trunk was stuffed full and so was the roof rack. I also like it because its a place to put things you do not want in the cabin.
 

IISPEEDYII

Well-Known Member
Messages
478
Location
Pennsylvania
I will agree that there is enough cabin space...for 2 people haha. If you have 4 people and their stuff, good luck. I know mine came in very handy when 3 of my friends and I went to Florida and took my car. The trunk was stuffed full and so was the roof rack. I also like it because its a place to put things you do not want in the cabin.

Yeah the Trunk really isn't all that big. Completely filled it with beach stuff for a day trip once.
 
S

SedonaBound

Guest
A rack is a huge drag at highway speeds, loaded or not. An empty rack is like throwing a buck out the window every 20 minutes.
 

rsc

Well-Known Member
Messages
1,087
Location
Tulsa
On trips I get better better mpg and space taking one of the other cars in the garage, but if I want to take the Hummer wheeling in another state with the family for the weekend, a Kia won't cut it. Neither does the limited space in the back. Thats when I need the roof rack or a hitch mounted basket. 4-5 people and stuff is maxing out the H3 just on day trips, gotta have a way to carry the extra gear for a long weekend trip or camping.
 

IISPEEDYII

Well-Known Member
Messages
478
Location
Pennsylvania
A rack is a huge drag at highway speeds, loaded or not. An empty rack is like throwing a buck out the window every 20 minutes.

I commute 25 miles every weekend to school and back to home with my rack and I have no care in the world that it's like dragging a bag of bricks attached to my large brick wall of a car.

It's a hummer, it's not meant to be practical hahah.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Top