• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

power steering oil Type

bull5

Well-Known Member
Messages
49
Location
Switzerland
Hi, I have to change my power steering oil. I own a 3.5.
I leave in europe so is almost impossible get the specified GM type of power steering oil

Is ok to use a normal ATF dexon III synthetic?

How many liters I need?

Thanks

davide
 

Guerrero

Well-Known Member
Messages
124
Location
Spain
Hello from Spain!

I always use Redline Power Steering fluid and was perfect (you only need to buy 2 liters). You can buy it from gt2i.com
I use Redline heavy shockproof on differentials too, for the rest Motul Dexron VI 100% synthetic on transfer case and transmission, and Motul 8100 Eco-lite 5w30 dexos1 100% synthetic for engine

Hope this helps you out!
p.d: mine was a 3.5 i5 automatic too, Now I have a 2008 alpha and going the same route!
 

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Messages
10,673
Location
Scottsdale
I use standard power steering fluid, like Valvoline MaxLife. I typically just check the bottle to make sure it says compatible with GM vehicles.
 

Jeepwalker

Well-Known Member
Messages
976
Location
WI
I would use a power steering fluid bc ps fluid has higher operating temps and more anti-foaming agents. Record what you buy/use and try not to mix fluids.

What I did on mine after I bought it, was unhook the return line and ran into to bucket to catch the old fluid use a section of clear hose if you need. Then sucked all the fluid out of the p/s reservoir and installed new. Had 1.5 qts of new fluid ready to pour. Had the wife start/run the truck while I poured new fluid in as FAST as I could! I had to have her stop the tk so I could catch up. But it's a good way to quickly exchange ALL the fluid (don't run the pump dry).

I use GM fluid from the dealer in my H3. But on some of my other vehicles I use generic PS fluid from Walmart ..and have for many years with no problems whatsoever. That's about the only fluid I buy from Walmart.
 
Last edited:

JPaul

Well-Known Member
Messages
2,436
Location
Way up north, UT
Prestone makes some power steering fluid specifically compatible with American vehicles. They also have a product for the Asian vehicles as well. Little pricey, but it's not like you have to replace it often unless you have a leak (which should get fixed anyway).
 
Top