• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Launch 123 for the Hummer H3 does it work well

Happy Hummer

Well-Known Member
Messages
1,464
Location
Wisconsin
I need a decent scan tool with pro'esq feastures at a reasonable price for doing more advanced things within the Hummer H3?

I'm undecided as to which scanner to purchase. I want a pro'esq type scanner that can do data pid's, bi-directional if possible, map freeze frame and live feed, etc...
Would be really nice if I could pick the pid's and graph them. Say for instance if I want to look at O2S readings in live time.

Let me know please if there is a certain scanner you use that allows for a lot of the pro features available on GM scantool but at a Lunch 123 kinda price range lol!:giggle:
 

fowlken8

Well-Known Member
Messages
248
Location
Southwest
Autel makes some great scanners. I have one and have been able to read live data, including as real-time O2 sensor readings. I was able to turn off an abs light on a Land Rover. It even halfway connects to my Lotus….kinda lol

mine does obdII, srs and abs readings. You can also graph things. There’s a removable card you can put into your pic for review or system updates.
 

Happy Hummer

Well-Known Member
Messages
1,464
Location
Wisconsin
Yep, I was looking at the MD806pro but the price kinda put me off. Not saying it is out of reason but still looking at all my options.
 

Brad

Well-Known Member
Messages
45
Location
New England
These bluetooth ELM327 OBD adapters and an Android phone with a combination of the Torque app and the ChervoSys app can do most of what you want to do with the H3 and they are SUPER cheap. If I were you, even if you buy a nicer scantool, I would still buy one. I leave one plugged in at all times and if I need to check something quick I can just whip out my phone. The other fairly inexpensive option is the VxDiag adapter for GM (clone MDI adapter). It connects to a laptop and includes the dealer GM software including Tech2Win. It requires a "compatible" laptop however and can be tricky to set up and get working if you are not really good with computers. If you have an old Intel based laptop and are good with computers it gives Tech2 dealer scantool functionality for little money though.
 
Last edited:

Jeepwalker

Well-Known Member
Messages
976
Location
WI
That's interesting on the Tech2Win. I might check that out. Thanks. A Tech2 scanner is about $350 last I checked. But then yer limited to GM vehicles, but you can do more.

These new import scanners are very capable compared to what was available just a few years ago, and easy to use. I have a Snap-on Ultra scanner that I really like. But higher level Launch scanners can do about the same thing and in some cases more (and upgrades are less exp). Check out youtube. There are a lot of scanner videos ...if you haven't watched them already.
 

Brad

Well-Known Member
Messages
45
Location
New England
Which ELM327 adapter did you purchase?
Torque app where to get?
ChervoSys?
The adapter I have is the one by BAFX. It goes for 15 bucks on Amazon. I think it may require an Android phone though. (There are other options for iPhone) Does pretty much everything but the bidirectional stuff. (It can actually do some bidirectional stuff on Fords with the Forscan app. It's pretty much limited by software.) Can even get into the other modules like the SRS module and stuff via the ChevroSys app. Both Torque and ChevroSys are available free on the Google play store but I did get the paid version of Torque, TorquePro. To access all the data in the Torque app you will need to add the GM PIDS into the app. It's been awhile but I think you just download a datebase of them and import them.
 

Brad

Well-Known Member
Messages
45
Location
New England
Almost forgot the ChevroSys app can't get into quite every module. The Car Gauge Pro app can get into all the modules on my other GM cars. Having trouble getting it to wrok right on the Hummer though.
 
Last edited:

Jeepwalker

Well-Known Member
Messages
976
Location
WI
Hey, what have you learned on whatever scan 'system' you went with?

My overall thought on a scan tool is to buy the best one you can afford and that fits your needs. If you own a variety of vehicles it's one thing, if your only vehicle is your Hummer, that's another. Something like a 700-$800 Launch, or along those lines seem to be really capable based on videos i've wached. Launch is continually improving things and there are Amazon reviews where users have made suggestions, and they've gone and revised that portion of the software in a couple days.

You won't regret a good scan tool. It'll pay for itself after 1 or 2 repairs. I used to go cheap, then I broke down and bought a nice snap-on scanner and I don't regret it. But nowadays the higher-end Launch's seems to do as much and maybe more. Snap-on would do well to revise their software update pricing strategy, or they're going to become an ever-shrinking platform. There's a whole market out there for DIY guys they're ignoring. Other scanning products and software are catching up rapidly.

For Chrysler products there's ALfaOBD which is a $50 one-time buy Android software. You need to buy a universal dongle like the other software's. It does a LOT. Has all the bi-directional stuff. Ford has a software program but they want to bleed ya to use it. Hopefully one day they'll change their pricing format. That seems to be the current trend: Software-only. A lot of these independent software-based systems seem to be becoming very capable.

So ..please, share what you've been using and what you've found out... I want to know ..man!! He he :cheers:
 

Brad

Well-Known Member
Messages
45
Location
New England
I usually buy all GM vehicles (except for the old Explorer) so the Vxdiag adapter with Tech2Win has me pretty covered I think. Forscan with the ELM adapter is VERY capable on Ford's though (wish there was GM software for the cheap adapters that good). Honestly I've never tried any expensive scanners though although it would be nice to have a programmer like an HPtuner. What can Launch do that the Tech2 can't?
 

Jeepwalker

Well-Known Member
Messages
976
Location
WI
What can Launch do that the Tech2 can't?

Work on about 50 other makes of vehicles domestic and import.

But if your ecosystem is all GM then that doesn't matter to you. On GMs Tech2 I'm sure does more than a Launch, other than maybe a larger LCD for graphing (which I rarely ever do anyway). Yeah, a scan tool kind of comes down to what a guy's needs are, today and perhaps into the future. I have a little bit of everything around here. And it's nice to do things for neighbors, siblings and some others. I don't have a Launch, so I'm not outright promoting it as the be-all-end-all tool (vs Autel or software-based android tools).
 
Last edited:

jakesz28

Well-Known Member
Messages
1,056
Location
Cabool MO
I have a Launch 123, it is fine for the H3. It can read abs, transmission, and bcm codes.

The Lauch 129 is a step up.
 
Last edited:
Top