• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

H3 H3 wheel stud replacement

adventuredad

Well-Known Member
Messages
86
Location
Southwest WA
So I’m not quite sure what happened but I cranked my t-bars last week with the wheels off and all my lungs loosened up and managed to snap a stud. I torqued everything when I got it back on the ground and shame on me for not retorquing after a few days but today headed into the woods I turned a corner and felt a strange thud in the front end. Pulled over as soon as I could and noticed a lug nut missing. Pullled our the gear and tightened all the lug nuts and every single one on the front was loose, lesson learned. I now have to replace a wheel stud and it seems to be a bigger job then I had hoped. Has anyone had to do this on our rigs? Does the hub absolutely have to come off to get access to the back? Any helpful hints?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

Traxx

Well-Known Member
Messages
682
Location
PNW
Pull the caliper and rotor then rotate the the hub around until you have a clear spot from the shield then knock it out. Use a c clamp or lug nut and a bunch of washers to snug the new one in. Torque wrenches need to be sent in and calibrated now and then unless your using an impact and torque sticks.
 

adventuredad

Well-Known Member
Messages
86
Location
Southwest WA
Do you by chance know what size threads are on the rotor to ease it off? I don't have a bag full of bolts anymore and have to go pick some up.
 

speedy

Sir Welds a Lot
Messages
359
Location
Dayton NV. Battle Born!!
If that was mine i would replace the entire hub assembly. They are a press fit and now the holes a compromised and the rest of studs are probably fubar anyways. Have ever tried to remove a lug nut with a loose wheel stud:gaah:
 

adventuredad

Well-Known Member
Messages
86
Location
Southwest WA
I started looking into the hubs, the range of prices is huge. I don’t typically like to buy the cheapest but don’t usually have the money to buy the top of the line. Any advice on what to look out for? I checked rockauto and also found a bunch on amazon.

I agree if you’re going to be tearing into it, it’s easier to replace then try and beat on the old stuff for a bandaid. I’m just not sure a new hub is in the budget right now, my sons birthday on top of everything else has me pretty well tapped out.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

rascole

Well-Known Member
Messages
2,843
Location
Bellflower, CA
I would think that a cheaper brand would be in better condition than what you have now especially after pressing in new studs that will loosen up quicker.
 

adventuredad

Well-Known Member
Messages
86
Location
Southwest WA
So getting the rotors off shouldn’t be too bad but anyone remember a thread for replacing the hub. I know a few of you know these by heart before I start digging for it. Is it that big of a project?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

Traxx

Well-Known Member
Messages
682
Location
PNW
If you want to replace it twice then buy the cheap hubs. If you want to go another 100k then put the oem in there, Hubs are currently $209 on amazon. Make sure you have a large enough torque wrench for the cv.
 
Top