• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

h3 performance exhaust

Ed's06h3

Well-Known Member
Messages
680
Location
Haledon, NJ
i was wondering if anybody knows about a performance exhaust for the h3 that doesn't make much noise.......i heard about the corsa touring exhaust system and does anybody has it on their truck?? i currently have the gibson dual exhaust but its to loud.......PLEASE HELP
 

airborne227

Probationary Member
Messages
4
Location
Louisiana
I have the GM Performance exhaust. Supposedly it is the same as Corsa, just stamped GM. It's quiet compared to a fellow owner's Magnaflow. If you want super quiet...go with the GM Touring
 

Doc Olds

Well-Known Member
Messages
165
Location
Boat Town MI
Billy Boat made the GM Performance Exhaust and I believe airborne is right, GM went to Corse for the Touring Exhaust. Like there is really any difference in performance, nyuk nyuk nyuk. I do believe the Touring was a quiter choice between the two. If you do find a GM set be aware the price does not include tips..... I would look at Corsa instead so tips are included.

There are many choices for the I5 H3 for such a low production run truck surprisingly. The Alphas are more limited.

I bought my 07 in Feb and before June I had put on a MagnaFlow Cat back system. So in 4 winters of road salt up here in the great pale north, they have held up marvelously. I have not actually driven a 3 with Gibson exhaust so I don't know how loud that would be. I've heard it from the outside and it didn't seam bad, sounded good to me?

You can check out Borla (they sound good but are pricey and use IMHO too hard of SS weld rods and my last Borla cracked 3 times at a weld, and then split at the end of the muffler... all of which was covered by their lifetime warranty); Gibson has a few variations of their H3 exhaust and you did not specify which one you have, so maybe look at other versions; Volant, and the list gos on.

I like my MagnaFlows!
DSCN0272.jpg
 

3rdH3

Well-Known Member
Messages
218
Location
Blacksburg, VA
I had the Magnaflow dual catback on my 06 and 08 I5's. The sound was about right for me. Not too loud and not too soft. I put a Magnaflow dual catback on my 10 Alpha and it was no louder than the stock single. I put a straight pipe in place of the resonator and it made some difference but nothing earth shattering. May go custom when I get the time.
 
Last edited:

mudbug

trail blazer
Messages
232
Location
Brighton,Co
I would have the stock exhaust and resenator removed and have a muffler shop install your choice of muffler its alot cheaper. I have a 50 series flowmaster its alittle loud but I only paid like $250 installed. Check out like a hushpower or magnaflow
 

Ed's06h3

Well-Known Member
Messages
680
Location
Haledon, NJ
thanks everybody for all your responses but after looking and gathering info.....imma go with the corsa touring exhaust....i will post pics and videos once i buy/install it......thanks again
 

Reloader

Well-Known Member
Messages
413
Location
Montana a free state
I had the local Exhaust Pro shop install a 24 inch magnaflow muffler with 2.5 inch dual outlet pipes tucked up high for offroading clearance.
Its very mellow sounding but rumbles if you get on it with the 5.3. I painted the system flat black with VHT header paint. I touch up the
paint once and a while when its on the hoist. The wife didnt even notice till I told her. It cost me $350.
 

cbetts

NERD!!!
Messages
3,188
Location
Rancho Palos Verdes, CA
I have the Gibson and just love the rumble it makes with my inline five. It is kinda loud inside due to the resonator being removed. I have had to get a muffler shop to properly fit the pipes, costing, me even more than the original kit. I recommend having a local shop make you something custom. It will save you some sheckles.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk
 

Archngel

Active Member
Messages
31
Location
Repentigny
Billy Boat made the GM Performance Exhaust and I believe airborne is right, GM went to Corse for the Touring Exhaust. Like there is really any difference in performance, nyuk nyuk nyuk. I do believe the Touring was a quiter choice between the two. If you do find a GM set be aware the price does not include tips..... I would look at Corsa instead so tips are included.

There are many choices for the I5 H3 for such a low production run truck surprisingly. The Alphas are more limited.

I bought my 07 in Feb and before June I had put on a MagnaFlow Cat back system. So in 4 winters of road salt up here in the great pale north, they have held up marvelously. I have not actually driven a 3 with Gibson exhaust so I don't know how loud that would be. I've heard it from the outside and it didn't seam bad, sounded good to me?

You can check out Borla (they sound good but are pricey and use IMHO too hard of SS weld rods and my last Borla cracked 3 times at a weld, and then split at the end of the muffler... all of which was covered by their lifetime warranty); Gibson has a few variations of their H3 exhaust and you did not specify which one you have, so maybe look at other versions; Volant, and the list gos on.

I like my MagnaFlows!
DSCN0272.jpg

Hi Doc Old

is it possible for you to send me pic of your magnaflow tail pipes from the side and under. I had my alpha equiped with it and I find that the tips are way too long and low, at least 2 .5 inches from the bumper grooves, which reduce considerable my exit angle, they are pinching the ground every time. I need to compare with someone that has it. I talked to the mechanic that put the system on, and he tells me that he cant to anything to where the tips ends since all hooks are in their respective rubber loops.

Im a bit puzzled. so if you can show me.é Ill post how mine looks


View attachment 1761 look like I cant resize :( but as you can see I drew a few line to check what was over and extra to clear exit angle.
 
Last edited:

ReconH3

Guardian Angel
Messages
2,288
Location
Raleigh, NC
I've tried all kinds of exhausts and somehow we always ended back with Magnaflow. My H3 had a Flowmaster and hated it. Now it has the Magnaflow and I'm so happy. It has a discreet growl to it without the annoying drone.


"Ex Umbris Venimus"

Sent from my iPhone
 

Ron46

Capt.
Messages
807
Location
NJ
I was looking into doing what mudbug did, mudbug is there anyway you can take a video of your exhaust? I want to hear how it sounds before I do it to my truck! thanks
 

Archngel

Active Member
Messages
31
Location
Repentigny
Well I love the sound of mine, not what I was expecting, was looking for a sound more like the sound of the H2 more growling on acceleration, but the magnaflow is just fine now that i got used to it and that the authority passed a few law on noise regulation for cars and truck, im happy that I'm still within the limits of permitted. Tried a few also, but magnaflow is the one that please me the most as sound and performance.
 

Doc Olds

Well-Known Member
Messages
165
Location
Boat Town MI
Hi Doc Old

is it possible for you to send me pic of your magnaflow tail pipes from the side and under. I had my alpha equiped with it and I find that the tips are way too long and low, at least 2 .5 inches from the bumper grooves, which reduce considerable my exit angle, they are pinching the ground every time. I need to compare with someone that has it. I talked to the mechanic that put the system on, and he tells me that he cant to anything to where the tips ends since all hooks are in their respective rubber loops.

Im a bit puzzled. so if you can show me.é Ill post how mine looks


View attachment 1761 look like I cant resize :( but as you can see I drew a few line to check what was over and extra to clear exit angle.

The Alpha model by MagnaFlow obviously did not use the same jig as the I5 version. I notices on the Alpha they were a bit lower and pointing down further.

Here is a couple pics of mine, hope it helps.
DSCN0209.jpg


DSCN0301.jpg


DSC02691.jpg
 

Archngel

Active Member
Messages
31
Location
Repentigny
Thx Doc Olds

I didn't realize you had the I5.

Ill check if there is anything I can do to readjust the angle and length that stick out but modifying the rubber loops that they are attached to. or tempering with the bracket that goes into them.
 

bebe

Moderator
Messages
1,375
Location
Dayton, NV
I went with all stainless tube w/ Magnaflow Muffler and Resonator. We put the muffler where the resonator was and the resonator where the muffler was.

I love it - my truck doesn't sound like a ricer. :)

IMG_2773.jpg
 
Last edited:

humvee

Well-Known Member
Messages
507
Location
Doha, Qatar
Do you or anyone know if you can still get the GM Performance exhaust?

GM Performance exhaust was made by Borla, I bought mine off their site for around $240 a couple of years back (clearance sale). Now thats out of stock, and this new one replaces it for a crazy $900: http://www.borla.com/products/h3_catback_exhaust_part__140166.html

I believe its exactly the same. You can ask them and see if they're still using the same spec muffler.

I uploaded this video for anyone who's interested. i5 H3 with a long tube header and Borla (GM Performance) Exhaust.
[video=youtube_share;UReZLqUCHd0]https://youtu.be/UReZLqUCHd0[/video]

Now with the stock manifold, and only the Borla Catback installed, its much more subtle, but still sounds beefier and louder than the Alpha with the same exhaust. Which we found odd, but 100% true. It was louder and deeper on idle, and across the whole spectrum.
 

humvee

Well-Known Member
Messages
507
Location
Doha, Qatar
Since then, removed both the catback and header. I lost a lot of off road performance, and around 1 second 0-60 on the road.

The traffic department threatened to impound my truck. It wouldn't have attracted attention if it wasn't for the excessive noise the header caused, so I guess the header is my real regret.

If you have strict rules in your State, you should aim for the Borla cat back to be the final noisy mod on your truck, anything else might turn excessive.
 
Last edited:
Top