• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

H3 Alpha rebuilt about 30k miles ago...seems sluggish

Teahead

Well-Known Member
Messages
144
Location
Tacoma
So I bought this H3 with a rebuilt engine.

Seems going up hill, it just doesn't seem to have the beans I would expect it to have.

At 167k miles, with 30k on the engine, do you think maybe my cats are clogged?

Or all H3 Alphas seems kinda....slow-ish?
 

Maria80386

Well-Known Member
Messages
55
Location
Phoenix
Hmm, the H3 governor kicks in around 110 MPH, and we do have some 10 - 14% grades around in Phoenix. My H3 Alpha and Champ don’t have an issue with them, loaded or empty, and I have to keep a close eye to ensure I’m not attracting the attention of the authorities in a negative fashion with them. An Inline 5 or 6 is sluggish compared to the V8, but a Trailblazer SS or a lightweight Telsa can suck the V8‘s doors off. But I can tow 3 of them with the same MPH on the test track Interstates where the speed limit is 80 In south NM and AZ.
When I got the my “newest” ‘08 Alpha, the gas mileage and acceleration sucked and temps were somewhat high. I put in a new fan clutch, a quart of Risolone in the oil, and four fuel treatments, and now both the ’09 Championship and the ‘08 Alpha are right in line with each other Performance-wise. The ‘08 had mostly sat for apparently the last ten years, really since new. II had to do a front end on suspension on her as well but now she’s purring. Bump stocks are shot on the Champ, so she goes in next week for those to be replaced. I’ll let someone else break their knuckles on that.
Try to see if your latest find is throwing any codes or showing an emissions hold up. Most auto parts stores will happily run a check for you if you don’t have your own reader.
 

Teahead

Well-Known Member
Messages
144
Location
Tacoma
Thanks.

No codes.

I guess I'll try some fuel treatments.

Temps are normal. Right below the middle line.

Hmm...
 

Doc Olds

Well-Known Member
Messages
165
Location
Boat Town MI
A stock LH8 5.3L with no performance mods in the FT 4X4 heavy brick shaped H3 is not (contrary to what some may think) that huge of an improvement over an I5. It does have a wider band of power, but it ain't exactly gonna tear it up. If your cats were clogged it would be showing the code(s) for that, unless a prior owner put O2 spacers/extenders on it for you trying to hide the problem for a while longer.

Good news is, some performance mods and a PCM Tune can wake the LH8 up big time!
 

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Messages
10,673
Location
Scottsdale
The 4.10 gearing of an Alpha sucks a lot of the off the line quickness out of that V8. Regear to 4.56 and you'll get what you were expecting, notwithstanding any other issues. For kickass fuel treatment, try BG44K. I know there are a million opinions on this (and 10 million on Bob is the Oil Guy) but I've noticed seat of the pants differences with this product, as well as the AC Delco fuel treatment. The BG44K helped my sis-in-law with her clogged cat - the treatment seemed to clean up the cat a wee bit for a few weeks at a time until she could get a new car.
 

Maria80386

Well-Known Member
Messages
55
Location
Phoenix
A stock LH8 5.3L with no performance mods in the FT 4X4 heavy brick shaped H3 is not (contrary to what some may think) that huge of an improvement over an I5.

I noticed a significant difference which is why my pocketbook cries a little every time I stop at the gas pumps. Once I try to merge onto the freeway in this modern insane traffic, the pocketbook shuts up. My other daily drivers include a 1.5 ton Ram and a Contractor Van.
 

rascole

Well-Known Member
Messages
2,843
Location
Bellflower, CA
One possible problem could be you transmission starting to fail. Your right at the magic mileage when most see failures. Not always obvious and rarely shows a code. I would have a reputable shop change the trans oil and filter, that can usually give a good diagnosis from the looks of the oil and filter.
 

Teahead

Well-Known Member
Messages
144
Location
Tacoma
Trans was rebuilt about 30k miles ago.

No, it's not slipping. I'd know that for sure.

Changed its fluid anyways and all looked fine.
 
Top