• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Fluid leaking from transfer case

uncas1

Member
Messages
7
Location
Georgia
I have a 2007 H3 automatic, 98000 miles. I just had a 3000 mile service done a week ago (oil change, tire rotation etc.) at my local GM dealer (former Hummer dealer). No problems at that time, but I took a long trip this weekend 175+ miles and noticed a burning fluid smell when I arrived home coming from underneath the vehicle. I went under it to look and saw a brown, chocolate colored fluid was coming from the transfer case, dripping down on the skid plate and spraying up onto the underside and transmission housing. I had no issues while driving, just the smell when I got home.

Taking it to the dealer tomorrow but would like to give them an idea of what it is before I have them go searching and charging. Any help would be appreciated.
 

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Messages
10,673
Location
Scottsdale
Pics? Do you have any idea where it's leaking from?

The burning smell makes it sound more like a transmission issue than a transfer case issue as the t-case oil doesn't get that hot, unless maybe you've got almost none in the case and the internals get super hot. Maybe if the oil is spattering onto the exhaust.
 

uncas1

Member
Messages
7
Location
Georgia
Pics? Do you have any idea where it's leaking from?

The burning smell makes it sound more like a transmission issue than a transfer case issue as the t-case oil doesn't get that hot, unless maybe you've got almost none in the case and the internals get super hot. Maybe if the oil is spattering onto the exhaust.

Yes, I have photos. It does appear as though it is splattering up on the exhaust causing the smell. It appears to be leaking from the Transfer case.

This photo shows the fluid splattered onto the Transmission housing and underside of the body
photo1.jpg
 

Attachments

  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 1,051

4speedfunk

Well-Known Member
Messages
4,250
Location
Tardville
Looks like a front driveshaft cv failure. The rubber boot often rips and centrifugal force flings the lube all over the place. Very common and easy to fix.
"Brown" fluid was the tip off. CV lube is the only brown colored fluid on the truck.
The joint can be replaced but, GM service will probably swap out the entire driveshaft with a new one. It takes ten-minutes and should cost around $500.
 
Last edited:

uncas1

Member
Messages
7
Location
Georgia
Thanks 4speed, I just showed your post to the service rep, they're looking at it now. They haven't reported back to me yet. I'm having them do a transmission, transfer case and differential fluid change just to be safe.
 
Top