• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Does this sound fishy....

tlh235

Active Member
Messages
32
Location
Beavercreek, OH
I emailed GMpartsdirect.com about getting info on a hitch for my 2009 H3T since i don't have the tow package and after giving them my info(including my vin) they asked for the vin of another 2009 H3T that has the part I need. How would i actually acquire a vin number from an H3T that isn't mine, that has the tow package? Being that H3T's aren't all over the road...should i just call my dealership, thoughts? All i wanted to know is if their was an after market hitch i could buy to add to my OEM bumper that might be less than actually have to replace the entire OEM bumper with one that has the tow package. I'm guessing they want to give me the part# for the replacement bumper...i would be curious to check that out also i guess.

"
Hello,

I apologize we need a VIN from a vehicle that has the options that you are seeking to ensure we supply the correct part numbers. If you have any other questions please email us and we will assist you in any way that we can.

Please remember
We do not have any way of telling if a part from another vehicle will fit yours properly without modification to the part. Please research parts that did not come on your vehicle from the factory to make sure they will fit your vehicle. No one wants to be stuck with parts that don’t fit due to bad information."


Thank you,
Ashley
GMPartsDirect.com
 

Bigunit

Hammer Down!
Staff member
Messages
6,561
Location
Arizona
Not sure if the OEM hitch will fit on an H3T that does not have the trailer package because I think that the bumpers are different. Maybe not. Not sure if the non-trailer package OEM bumper has the cut-out for the hitch. If not, you will need to get a new bumper with the cut-out or you could cut your existing bumper to make room. The trailer hitch has the mount plate and hole for the tail-light plug-in/harness. I have the part number for the H3T hitch and bumper if you need them. I also can take pics of the rear bumper to compare it to yours so that you can see what I'm talking about. Just let me know. I would also recommend calling Gene at GMpartshouse.com (click on his scrolling banner ad above). Gene will take care of you & find what you need without any hassles. If you call him, tell him that Bigunit from H4O.com says hello. He knows us all pretty well.
 
Last edited:

tlh235

Active Member
Messages
32
Location
Beavercreek, OH
Hey thanks alot man, appreciate that. Will do. i was hoping to buy something off market that would just bolt on my existing bumper, but i guess i'm out of luck.
 

Zach

Mall Crawler
Messages
4,812
Location
So Cal
Not fishy at all. They need the vin off of one to see what options it has since you are trying to add one to a truck that doesn't have that option. If you are looking for an off brand hitch, you might want to try U-haul.
 

chad

Well-Known Member
Messages
545
Location
florida
have you tried autozone? i got a aftermarkey reciever there for my jeep grand cherokee before that just bolted on and came just under the factory bumber so no modification was needed for a bumper.
 

Mr_Rich

Well-Known Member
Messages
666
Location
Yucaipa & Santa Maria
I remember one of the 3T owners had an aftermarket hitch on his truck. It may have been part of a discussion on a site before this one was created. If you look at the diagram of part #8 you also need to include part #7 plug and #9 which is the connector. I have some experience with these parts since I replaced the bumper cover and license plate when I backed in to a tree on a Sierras trip. I kicked myself for that one. I've since been hit again locally and haven't replaced that bumper cover yet. If you want the factory receiver hitch you better brace yourself when you get quoted a price. They will be more expensive than the price of that bumper cover with the price of $503.53.
 

Schwarttzy

Sponsor
Messages
1,390
Location
Rockford IL
Just get a thor rear bumper because it has the hitch cut out already and then get the hitch, stronger and cheaper in the long run.
 

tlh235

Active Member
Messages
32
Location
Beavercreek, OH
well i tried the GMpartshouse.com but the "captcha" doesn't work so my email won't submit! i gave up after 13 captcha attempts. Can't call from work. i kinda didn't want to spend all the money on a whole new bumper. i was hoping to get something like this that i could just bolt on. curt-trailer-hitch-kit-33739.jpg
 

Zach

Mall Crawler
Messages
4,812
Location
So Cal
[h=2]U-Haul: 2009 Hummer H3T 4 Wheel Drive trailer hitch components[/h][h=4]Hitch receiver[/h]
Hitch.jpg


[h=4]Round Tube Rec. (Powder Coat)[/h]
  • Class 3 hitch
  • Max weight: 5,000 lbs, Max distribution weight: 7,500 lbs
  • Although this hitch has been discontinued, some U-Haul locations still have inventory that we’re offering to you at red tag pricing! These hitches are unused and structurally sound.
  • While supplies last.
  • Part number: 78188
  • Hitch image shown is for display purposes only and may not reflect the actual hitch for this vehicle.

$169.95



 

4speedfunk

Well-Known Member
Messages
4,250
Location
Tardville
Bigunit...great diagram but notice the only two parts we're talking about are not listed on it....that would be #7 and #8. Those must be shown in the "frame section" diagram.

ALL H3T's share the same rear bumper...whether you have the tow-package or not. Unlike the SUV (which uses two distinctly differently bumpers) the hitch cut out is already there on the T. The difference is in the piece behind the bumper....(part #8 in the diagram). All you need is the Tow version of that piece...no idea of the part number.

I can't say enough how much aftermarket tow hitches S U C K! Hold out for a factory GM hitch...they are far better than any of the U-haul, Reese, Curt, Generic, whatever hitches you can find. The H3T is already tail-dragger...the last thing you need is a tow system that hangs down even further.
 

Bigunit

Hammer Down!
Staff member
Messages
6,561
Location
Arizona
CJ, you're right. I didn't notice that until you just now pointed it out. Good observation. I also never knew whether the H3T's shared the same rear bumper with the hitch cut out already there...whether you had the tow-package or not, since I've never seen a T without a hitch - unlike the H3 (which, as you point out, uses two distinctly differently bumpers). Good info to know. THX!

I do have a spare, brand-new, never been used H3T hitch sitting in the Batcave that I might be willing to let go.
 
Top