• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

H3 H3 - Hood gap

KM4VVY

Member
Messages
15
Location
Aldie
Hello all,
My 2006 H3 has a bit of a cosmetic issue.
The hood (on the passenger side) seems higher compared to the driver side.
Between the fender and the hood, on the passenger side I can fit 1 finger in the gap. There is nearly no gap on the driver side.
Can that be adjusted?
Any advice is welcomed. Thanks!
 

amrg

Well-Known Member
Messages
2,317
Location
Qatar
If you pop the hood up you will see two rubber screws on each side of the body (next to each fender). Those are there to stop the hood going all the way down and also help align it. All you need to do it turn em clockwise/anti clockwise to get the hood aligned properly.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
 

KM4VVY

Member
Messages
15
Location
Aldie
If you pop the hood up you will see two rubber screws on each side of the body (next to each fender). Those are there to stop the hood going all the way down and also help align it. All you need to do it turn em clockwise/anti clockwise to get the hood aligned properly.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Thanks! I will give it a shot but to me , I see the hood sitting well towards the front where those screws are. The gap is more pronounced close to the “hinge”.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
 

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Messages
10,672
Location
Scottsdale
Can you provide a picture or two, maybe from a couple of feet back so we can see how the hood, fender, A pillar and door all align?
 

KM4VVY

Member
Messages
15
Location
Aldie
Can you provide a picture or two, maybe from a couple of feet back so we can see how the hood, fender, A pillar and door all align?
Sure
Passenger side:
6ae54048770641da02d0eb848ad9514e.jpg


Closeup:
5f39f2a221ec8a65fa96801a9a4513a6.jpg


Passenger side near front:
ca0c257ee586c574b9b83c292af874f3.jpg


Driver side as reference for all of the above:
ff2f264ab5b8fb1fe6874f3b51978c50.jpg

6318bb8dfa851a72c3603af628ff195e.jpg

3291456d2581c42b9fa27e2fefd3fe17.jpg


Thanks!



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
 

JPaul

Well-Known Member
Messages
2,436
Location
Way up north, UT
The front would be the rubber "screw" that amrg talked about, but the rear? That looks like someone probably tried shutting the hood but something was under the hinge (maybe a tool from working on the car or something) and didn't let it close all the way so the hood ended up bending at the mounting point for the hinge and now it is permanently like that. I would open up the hood and inspect by the hinge to see if there is any damage. You might be able to just push down on that rear corner with it closed and get it to bend back into the original position. We'd need to see pics of the hinges to help determine just what damage was done to cause that and how best to fix it. Might need a new hinge, might just need the sheetmetal bent back into place.
 

KM4VVY

Member
Messages
15
Location
Aldie
Thank you JPaul - I will take a few more pictures with the hood open showing the hinges etc and post back here. I really appreciate everyone's help!
 

KM4VVY

Member
Messages
15
Location
Aldie
Hinge / under the hood pictures

Passenger:
ba3aff8f1e66b1850644ec5613322a1b.jpg

6b202eea145d633c801edf1947e5254d.jpg

0984d27d60b268e7be64dc4e44c6cb81.jpg

9fb252e44cc630fdaa79a075de004652.jpg

a2038f46c00efb3428cc678bf685dfcb.jpg


Driver side:
a2c9a52df9aceb1b7e60cced3e301ec6.jpg

28debf835a550ce2d4169ed12d0f6762.jpg
e7e536fd066fa451c5212be969fcc11f.jpg

3158ae38d5fbeb44857f767c09c6fcf5.jpg

c8729fa07a7a0bc99042772caeb81a02.jpg


Full front:
afe22a72630f2862e297e751f2260bde.jpg




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
 

Traxx

Well-Known Member
Messages
682
Location
PNW
That strut is tweaked on the pass side. Probably from someone shutting the hood with something left under it, happens alot, the pass hinge looks a bit off.
 

Korby7

Well-Known Member
Messages
434
Location
Utah
Bent.jpgYou can tell from this area on the passenger side that it was shut with something under the hood. You can try to carefully push past the stop when opening to get rid of some of the damage. You may have to remove the strut on the passenger side to do so and you'll want to make sure not to push into the cowl trim at the hinge when you do this. If you're not comfortable doing this, a good body shop shouldn't charge much to do it for you.
 

KM4VVY

Member
Messages
15
Location
Aldie
Thanks alot guys!
I will see if can get it done myself. Really appreciate it!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
 

Mr_Rich

Well-Known Member
Messages
666
Location
Yucaipa & Santa Maria
You've got some bent parts and tweaked sheet metal. I don't think that can be adjusted without doing some sheet metal repair. I'm wondering if that right rear corner of the hood is kind of curled up since there's some obvious bending at the hood hinge underneath. That looks like some shoddy body shop work. Looks to me like some pulling and straightening and possible hammer and dolly work especially where the strut attaches at the fender lip.
 

JPaul

Well-Known Member
Messages
2,436
Location
Way up north, UT
You know what I think happened is the passenger hood strut locked up and someone tried forcibly closing the hood to unstick it and it didn't work.

I had replaced my struts with some cheapo's once and had one of them totally locked up on me after a short while. Nothing I could do to it would get it to even remotely compress.

If the strut had locked up and someone tried to force the hood closed it easily would have caused the damage seen here. The hinge is stronger than the sheetmetal so the sheetmetal would have bent first, and the ball joint down at the fender would have also been pushed forward.

Fixing the fender is easy, the hood is another matter. You could try doing the opposite of what caused the damage by opening the hood farther than it want to like Korby mentioned, but that might not end well. You may just want to take it to a body shop to see if the can pop it back into place. Probably wouldn't cost very much and it'd be quick work. Maybe just glue some pull tabs on and pull it back out, or they might have this one tool I saw once that they'd stick in through an existing hole and massage out dimples from behind. It was a long rod with a bend on the end that they'd rotate back and forth to push the metal back out.

Either way it doesn't need to be pretty since it's all hidden anyway.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
 

KM4VVY

Member
Messages
15
Location
Aldie
You know what I think happened is the passenger hood strut locked up and someone tried forcibly closing the hood to unstick it and it didn't work.

I had replaced my struts with some cheapo's once and had one of them totally locked up on me after a short while. Nothing I could do to it would get it to even remotely compress.

If the strut had locked up and someone tried to force the hood closed it easily would have caused the damage seen here. The hinge is stronger than the sheetmetal so the sheetmetal would have bent first, and the ball joint down at the fender would have also been pushed forward.

Fixing the fender is easy, the hood is another matter. You could try doing the opposite of what caused the damage by opening the hood farther than it want to like Korby mentioned, but that might not end well. You may just want to take it to a body shop to see if the can pop it back into place. Probably wouldn't cost very much and it'd be quick work. Maybe just glue some pull tabs on and pull it back out, or they might have this one tool I saw once that they'd stick in through an existing hole and massage out dimples from behind. It was a long rod with a bend on the end that they'd rotate back and forth to push the metal back out.

Either way it doesn't need to be pretty since it's all hidden anyway.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Hey JPaul!, this theory also makes sense!
I’m starting to think I will go to a fair body shop to fix this.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
 

Korby7

Well-Known Member
Messages
434
Location
Utah
You know what I think happened is the passenger hood strut locked up and someone tried forcibly closing the hood to unstick it and it didn't work.

That makes sense. I've never had a strut lock up like that.
 

Jeepwalker

Well-Known Member
Messages
976
Location
WI
Before you do any sheet metal work, I'd try removing the front hinge bolt, and install a couple washers under it, where it's pushed in. Try to raise it up to stock height. By doing that, it should lower the rear of the hinge ...where the pivot is (it's like a lever). I don't know if it'll give you enough 'lowering' effect to make up for your gap, but it might. The rear of the hinge where it bolts to the body may have an up/down adjustment too. Or, the holes could be elongated to increase travel if necessary.

If not, you can 'try' to pull out the hood area where the hinge mounts (as suggested by others). The bent in region. That's beyond the capabilities of most people. It wouldn't hurt to get a paintless dent guy to put his eyes on it and see what he thinks. Generally they 'pry' and there's not much to pry onto. But worth a call though just to see.But

At a body shop, if I were working on it, and had the hood off, laying upside down on padded saw horses, I'd grind the paint away (around the bent hinge mount area), tack weld on a couple metal plates and using pry bars gently lift the area back up to stock height (to match the other side). Then remove the plates, prime and re-paint. Should be able to make a nearly invisible repair. I worked at a body shop for years. That's how I'd deal with it. But try to adjust it out ..or a paintless dent guy first.

The front hood/grille doesn't line up very well either, has this been in a wreck? Panel alignment is a tricky issue. In a crash repair situation, a lot of shops want to move cars through pretty quick and get on to the next one. Truthfully, most customers don't notice panel fitment issues like that ...till later on -- and they don't usually come back to the shop. If they do, the shop would try to resolve it. Poor panel fitment is the mark of sloppy work. It takes a long time (sometimes hours) to get panels to line up nearly perfectly. That means lost profit for shops. Either way, you should be able to get the hood to fit properly given enough effort and time.
 
Last edited:

KM4VVY

Member
Messages
15
Location
Aldie
Before you do any sheet metal work, I'd try removing the front hinge bolt, and install a couple washers under it, where it's pushed in. Try to raise it up to stock height. By doing that, it should lower the rear of the hinge ...where the pivot is (it's like a lever). I don't know if it'll give you enough 'lowering' effect to make up for your gap, but it might. The rear of the hinge where it bolts to the body may have an up/down adjustment too. Or, the holes could be elongated to increase travel if necessary.

If not, you can 'try' to pull out the hood area where the hinge mounts (as suggested by others). The bent in region. That's beyond the capabilities of most people. It wouldn't hurt to get a paintless dent guy to put his eyes on it and see what he thinks. Generally they 'pry' and there's not much to pry onto. But worth a call though just to see.But

At a body shop, if I were working on it, and had the hood off, laying upside down on padded saw horses, I'd grind the paint away (around the bent hinge mount area), tack weld on a couple metal plates and using pry bars gently lift the area back up to stock height (to match the other side). Then remove the plates, prime and re-paint. Should be able to make a nearly invisible repair. I worked at a body shop for years. That's how I'd deal with it. But try to adjust it out ..or a paintless dent guy first.

The front hood/grille doesn't line up very well either, has this been in a wreck? Panel alignment is a tricky issue. In a crash repair situation, a lot of shops want to move cars through pretty quick and get on to the next one. Truthfully, most customers don't notice panel fitment issues like that ...till later on -- and they don't usually come back to the shop. If they do, the shop would try to resolve it. Poor panel fitment is the mark of sloppy work. It takes a long time (sometimes hours) to get panels to line up nearly perfectly. That means lost profit for shops. Either way, you should be able to get the hood to fit properly given enough effort and time.

I don't know if shes had an accident. At least, not showing in Carfax.
(I was thinking earlier today): Would finding a good H3 hood in a junkyard be a faster solution? Your analysis is great and I thank you pal!
 
Last edited:

Mr_Rich

Well-Known Member
Messages
666
Location
Yucaipa & Santa Maria
I don't know if shes had an accident. At least, not showing in Carfax.
(I was thinking earlier today): Would finding a good H3 hood in a junkyard be a faster solution? Your analysis is great and I thank you pal!

I think Jeepwalker's analysis and discussion was great and expanded upon the difficulty of fixing this problem correctly. Finding a good H3 hood might be a challenge but it could indicate if there are any other bent or tweaked parts as well on a trial adjustment/ fitment.
 

Traxx

Well-Known Member
Messages
682
Location
PNW
You would likely pay more for the hood than just replacing the hinge and straightening out the strut mount. Even the PickaPulls and similar have a Hummer tax in my area.
 
Top